"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16

"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82:3-4

"Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, "But we knew nothing about this," does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?" Proverbs 24:11-12

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all those who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9



Sunday, January 24, 2010

Our First "Sanctity of Life Sunday"

Today was the first "Sanctity of Life Sunday" my Church has participated in "celebrating." I found the day to be filled with both great anticipation and sorrow. The word celebration doesn't really seem to fit, but for lack of a better word, I use it. Abortion was the subject of choice, and the Pastor's sermon did well to tackle the weighty and perverse nature of the practice. When considering the beauty and sanctity of life, especially when reflecting upon the Author of it, there is much to reverently and joyfully celebrate. And, indeed, when the Pastor introduced his sermon with the reading of Psalm 139, I found myself humbled and awestruck by the intimate delicacy which God uses in dealing with His children. Not only does He both, "search and know," us in the most enveloping fashion, but He bears the total responsibility for our initial introduction to life itself. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mothers womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" Psalm 139:13-14. Therefore, it can be said with the greatest of confidence that life is to be treasured and fully respected. The creation of flesh and spirit are never a waste, but rather a vastly complicated and intimate process.

But again, when considering the central nature of today's sermon, I hesitate (even cringe) to use the word "celebrate." There is certainly nothing worthy of invoking joy or jubilation when considering the barbaric and shameful topic of abortion. It is a demonic affront to both God and the life wrought by the careful work of His hands. However, the world sees things a little differently. Society fights for the freedom of choice and ardently demands that a woman's "right" to abortion be recognized. When the government diminishes the purity of truth in order to match up with popular or minority opinion, in this case, the pro-choice community would concede themselves a victory. Then comes the inevitable celebration in honor of "women's rights everywhere." Thus, the merrymaking begins. In all seriousness and actuality, these pro-choice rebels are hosting a party, and death is the guest of honor.

In their fight for reproductive rights, these abortion seeking crusaders have failed to reckon with several obstacles - the most formidable being God himself. As Psalm 139 clearly states that the credit in the fashioning of a human being, both soul and body, belong directly to God - and him alone. Nobody can claim the "right" to destroy what the King of Kings has created. The rest of the obstacles cover a vast deal of ground ranging from pure and undeniable logic to the witness of scientific evidence. The principle question that must be considered when debating an ethical position on the subject of abortion is, "What is the unborn?" Psalm 139 clearly answers that elementary inquiry.

And so I am left both sorrowful and rejoicing over our Church's very first "Sanctity of Life Sunday." Even as I despair over the death and destruction left in the wake of legalized abortion, I celebrate the beauty of life and the creative power of God. Life is, indeed, a most pleasant and beautiful thing. Abortion is, indeed, a most horrific deed - the shaking of a puny and rebellious fist into the face of God. I take solace in remembering that, one day, God will rightly hold mankind accountable for the death and dismemberment of what He has so marvelously created. What a terrifying day that will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment