"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16

"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82:3-4

"Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, "But we knew nothing about this," does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?" Proverbs 24:11-12

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all those who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9



Thursday, February 4, 2010

President Obama ~ Eloquently Incorrect

This morning, President Obama gave a speech at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington DC. He spoke very eloquently on the subjects of God, faith, prayer, civility, and government. I must confess that despite my fervent dislike for many of the President's policies, he is one of the most engaging and believable speakers that I have ever encountered. He is uncannily persuasive - so much so, that I find myself almost drawn into agreeing with him ... into believing him.

His speech this morning was very much centered around one overarching theme: it was a call to civility and prayer. Many of the statements and key elements in his speech were hardly surprising. In fact, much to my own astonishment, I found myself agreeing with several of the things he said. For instance, his appeal to civility was very candid. Statements such as, "Civility is not a sign of weakness," and, "The erosion of civility in the public square sows division and distrust among our citizens," are very honest and truthful statements. Regardless of our own belief system, we ought to treat all our opponents with kindness and respect. However, I found that things began to become rather nebulous every time President Obama mentioned the word, "God." I scarcely know what the word implies when coming from his lips, and it leaves me with a great degree of uncertainty. I am left wondering, "Who is this God?"

I believe that the President's fuzzy description of the Almighty is politically purposeful. It is an offenseless, religious maneuver. When Obama speaks of God he does so without defining his terms, and in doing so, he creates his own version of God - an infinite, loving being who just wants everyone to get along, and who sits in Heaven eagerly awaiting our prayers. "Let us be guided by our faith and prayer," said the President. Faith? Faith in what? Faith in who? Obama's claims of belief in an obscure sort of deity do well to bolster his image as a "religious man" - a man with morals and an appreciation for the essentially Christian foundation upon which America was built. Everyone, even Atheists, can appreciate a man of sound, moral, character. But regardless of how the President views himself, his claims of morality are doubtful at best and completely ludicrous at worst. To quote President Obama again, he says:

"Surely you can question my policies without questioning my faith."

This statement is erroneous! Proverbs 27:19 says, "As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man." Therefore, President Obama's political agenda is a reflection of what is in his heart.

Let us pretend for a minute that this "God" President Obama claims to have faith in is the one true God (as defined by Himself in the Holy Bible). Now, if Barak Obama follows God with the faith and determination which he asserted in his speech this morning, then logically his policies would tend coincide with Biblical principles. However, this is obviously not the case. One of the very first things President Obama took an unyielding stand on was "a women's right to choose," or in other words, the slaughter of millions of young Americans each year. Obama heartily supports abortion. Abortion is homicide. There is no other way to correctly explain the procedure - it kills a human being. Anyone who wishes to dispute this statement is foolishly unaware of the fact that life has been scientifically proven to begin at conception. Look it up. This "reflection" of the President's heart that manifests itself in "the right to choose" to kill the smallest amongst us is not biblical, nor is it not godly - it is Satanic.

To conclude, I end with quoting the President once again:

"When we challenge each other's motives it becomes harder to see what we hold in common. We forget that we share, at some deep level, the same dreams."

This statement seeks to lull his viewers into complacent trust. All I hear is, "Don't question my decisions." We share the same dreams, eh? I must confess that my greatest hopes for the future of North America, and the world entire, have never been centered around the legal slaughter of our children. The President often speaks of "freedom and equality," but freedom and equality for who? Somehow, Obama must have either missed or disregarded the memo stating, "Life begins at conception." But more essentially, he is disregarding the decrees of God - a being in which he claims a solid, faithful belief. God has said, "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13). Somehow, the President seems to have missed that memo as well.

1 comment: